New Resident Information

New Resident Information

Town of Onoway

Town of Onoway Civic Center
4812—51 Street
Box 540, Onoway, AB  T0E 1V0
Telephone:  967-5338  Fax:  967-3226

Office Hours:  9:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday

Welcome to the Town of Onoway! 

Here is some information that we hope will be helpful to you.


Water & Sewer

Most homes in Onoway are connected to the Municipal water and sewer system.  The water pump house is supplied water by WILD Water and is tested and monitored according to Provincial regulations.  The sewage is piped to the sewage lagoon northeast of Onoway, along Highway 37.  Here it is processed through four stages before discharge, in accordance with Alberta Environment.

Utility customers are issued bills every month which are due by the last working day of each month after which a 3.5% penalty is levied.    All costs for water are charged on the utility bill.  No costs are charged in the property taxes.



System Charge: 15mm or 5/8”meter


 Commodity Charge:
  Per cubic meter or



System Charge: 15mm or 5/8”meter



Commodity Charge:
Per cubic meter or




For system charges on other meter sizes—please contact town office.

Solid Waste

GFL Environmental Solid Waste Inc. picks up solid waste every Tuesday, exceptions made for some holidays.  Each property is assigned a 48 gallon cart with a charge of $23.00 per month.  If you require a larger cart please contact the Town Office for prices and to arrange for an upgrade.  Garbage must be secured in bags or boxes and placed in the  garbage cart and the cart placed on the street no earlier than 5:00 pm Monday for collection starting at 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday.   Once collected, please remove cart from collection point as soon as possible, no later than by 7:00 a.m. Wednesday.   Residents wishing to haul their own garbage must transport it to the Highway 43 East Waste Commission located at 55228 Range Road 35, where there is a charge of $57.50 per tonne.  Please contact the Main Landfill Site at 967-3466 regarding specific disposal questions.  The transfer station situated just north of Town is a County facility for County residents only.  If you choose to haul your own garbage, you are NOT exempt from the monthly disposal charge.

Businesses unable to dispose of waste in the garbage cart are required to rent a commercial bin from GFL Enviromental Solid Waste Inc .   


Organics are collected every Tuesday from the beginning of May through October inclusive in the 96 gallon cart with the green lid which is also assigned to each property.  Organic materials are:  vegetable, fruit &  egg waste, coffee grinds, grass clippings, small branches, leaves, prunings, garden foliage & weeds.  Place materials directly in cart—NO bags.  Please place your trash cart & organics cart at least 4 feet apart at your pick up point.

Curbside Recycling

A weekly curbside recycling program is operated by GFL Environmental Solid Waste Inc.  Residential customers will see a recycle fee charge of $4.25 on the monthly utility bill.  Please place items in transparent recycle bags , bundle corrugated cardboard under bags and place on the front curb by 7:00a.m. on Tuesdays.  Acceptable items include: mixed paper & boxboard, newspaper, magazines, phone books, catalogues, cereal boxes, office paper, pasta boxes.  Clean mixed containers such as milk jugs, milk cartons, tin food cans, glass food jars, rigid plastic containers (no lids), beverage containers.

Styrofoam, soiled paper, plastic bags, plastic film, bubble wrap, lids, diapers, ceramic, scrap metal or wood, food or yard waste.  NO sharp objects, needles, blades or broken glass.

Bylaw Enforcement

Animal Control

The maximum number of pets per household in Onoway is two of any kind.  (Specifically, a person may have two dogs, two cats, two hamster and two rabbits at the same time but no more than two of each kind of animal at one time.)  No farm animals are allowed except on farms located within the Town.  Horses may not be ridden in Onoway except for special events which receive prior approval from Council.

Dog licenses must be purchased once your puppy reaches 6 months of age.  These are valid for the lifetime of the pet and the charge is $50 for a neutered male or spayed female.  Lifetime licenses for natural dogs are $100.  Cats must also be licensed over 12 weeks of age.  The cost is $50 for a natural cat, $25 for a spayed/neutered cat.  Should your pet lose its tag, replacements are $10 per occurrence.

The fine for unlicensed dogs is $100.  For dogs running at large, excessive barking or having more than 2 pets of one kind the fine is $50 for any first offense.  You can contact the Community Peace Officer Services Complaint Line 1-844-786-4650 if you have any concerns regarding animals.   Animals picked up in the Town of Onoway by the Community Peace Officer will be taken to Parkland County Pound 780-968-8888.

Sidewalk Clearing 

The Town of Onoway requires snow and ice to be removed from sidewalks with 48 hours of a snowfall.  If sidewalks are not cleared,  arrangements will be made for the cleaning and the cost will be billed to you. 

Grass Cutting

Residents and owners of all properties are encouraged to keep their properties maintained.  Grass must not be longer than 8 inches in height.  Failure to keep grass cut will result in arrangements for the grass to be cut and the cost will be billed to you.



Everyone who puts up a sign, a deck, a garage, a shed, a house or opens a new business or in any way modifies an existing building, must apply for a Development Permit and receive approval from the Development Officer.  If a change of property use or zoning is desired an Application for Amendment to the Land Use Bylaw must be completed and approved. 

Building Permits

As required by Provincial regulation, permits must be obtained for construction or any trades work done for electrical, gas, or plumbing.  Permits are available through:  Inspections Group Inc. 780-454-5048Forms are available at the Town Office.  Remember to call Alberta One-Call at 1-800-242-3447 prior to disturbing the ground.


Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Plan:  If you wish to pay your municipal taxes in monthly installments, please contact the Town Office to enroll in the PAT Plan.  Some conditions apply.

Pre-Authorized Utility Payment Plan:  You can also pay your utility bills through auto-matic withdrawl from your bank account.  Forms are available on the website or contact the Town Office to enroll.

Emailed Utility Bills:  Sign up to have your Onoway Utility Bill sent to you by email.  Forms are available on our website or contact the Town Office.

Bylaws:  Complete bylaws can be viewed at the Town Office, on the Onoway website, or at the Onoway Public Library.  Copies of Bylaws may be purchased at $1.00 per page.

Council Meetings:  Regular Council Meetings are held the first Thursdays of each month at 9:30 am and the third Thursday at 7:00 pm in the Civic Center.  Meetings are open to the public. - Times and dates of meeting may change from time to time.


   Contact Information   
 EMERGENCIES    Ambulance — Fire — Police  9-1-1  
 Natural Gas  Atco Gas (trouble/leaks)  310-5678
   Direct Enegy (billing)  420-7838
 Power   Epcor (billing)  310-4300
   Fortis (outages)   310-9473
 Water/Sewer  Onoway Town Office  967-5338
 Garbage Collection  GFL Environmental Solid Waste Inc.   485-5000
 Curbside Recycle   GFL Environmental Solid Waste Inc.   485-5000
 Alberta One-Call  Call Before You Dig  1-800-242-3447
   Other Services  
 Education  Onoway Elementary School   967-5209
   Onoway Jr/Sr High School   967-2271
 Recreation  Onoway Play Group-Contact Lac Ste Anne County Recreation  1-866-880-5722
   Onoway Public Library  967-2445
   Onoway & District Agricultural Society (arena)  967-5253
   Onoway Curling Club  967-5342
 Health  Alberta Health Services   967-4440
 Medical  Onoway Medical Clinic  967-6477
 Dentist  Dr. Laua Onischuk  967-2949
 Chiropractor  Onoway Chiropractic Office  458-0616
 Pharmacy  Onoway Health Care Pharmacy  967-2241
 Veterinary  Onoway Veterinary Clinic  967-2967
 MP  Jim Eglinski  1-800-268-7117
 MLA  Oneil Carlier  1-780-786-1997

Peace Officer/

Bylaw Enforcement

 Town of Onoway  1-844-786-4650
RCMP  Complaint Line  780-968-7267
   Administration  780-968-7200